Saturday, June 04, 2005

Julia!

The first time I heard her music was when I was still in La Salle Greenhills during my high school years and I have been a great fan ever since. I remember falling in love with "Invisible War".

I have also been fortunate to watch her three concerts in the Philippines.

The best experince I had was when I met her backstage and got a kiss on the cheeks!

Yeah, I am talking about one of the best singers in my book, Ms. Julia Fordham.

I was able to stumble upon some DVD's and one of the best buys was Julia Fordham's "That's Life" DVD which was recorded and fimled at the House of Blues last July 19 & 20 of 2004. I read somewhere that the DVD was released early this year.

Once again, I am captivated by Julia Fordham's voice. You should know how Julia's wit and charm mesmerizes you if you have watched her perform live.

I remember her having a hard time to sing "Girlfriend" during her first concert in the Philippines. She said that she can't sing this terribly sad song because she feels so happy due to the warmth of the audience.

One of the memorable moments was when she sang her original song "Love Moves in Mysterious Ways"(not NINA's original, FYI!). I remember her saying, "It's time!!!" to signal one of the audience that it's time for him to propose to his girlfriend who was also in the audience. "Did she say yes??? Oh she did!!!!" was the next thing she said when the girl said yes. Love Moves in Mysterious Ways was recorded for the film "The Butcher's Wife" with Demi Moore as the lead actress(trivia piece). The couple appeared again in the next concert a year or two later and gave her a bunch of flowers as a sign of gratitude. She mentioned in an interview that she had apprehensions about the proposal in the middle of the concert. She said "what if the girl said no?" the concert will continue in a very sad mood. Thankfully, she said yes.

I also remember her singing a filipino song with Gary V. during her third concert.

In "That's Live" DVD, she didn't sing "Love Moves in Mysterious Ways" but included an original 1991 video of the song as a bonus feature.

I am so happy to see that she hasn't lost her magic and still looks the same(fountain of youth?) after all those years.

India Arie was a special guest who sang "Concrete Love" with her and Judith Owen performed with her when she sang "Happy Ever After".

Of course, the concert wouldn't be complete if she didn't sing "Loving You", a Minnie Riperton original which is one of Julia Fordham's favorite songs.

I wasn't aware that Joni Mitchell's husband works with Julia Fordham in her albums. She also mentioned in one of the interview's(bonus feature) on the DVD how Joni Mitchell has been one of her inspirations.

I really laughed out loud before she sang "Wake Up With You", one of my faves because she introduced the song as one of her "top 10 dance songs on Billboard" which was sent by her record company "to a bunch of young people who take ecstacy". Of course, she performed the orinigal version.

The last song she performed on the DVD Concert was "Manhattan Skyline" which is a personal favorite of mine.

For jazz lovers and certified Julia Fordham fans, this is a MUST buy.

Almond was glued and mesmerized watching the concert so I think you will be too. :-)


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



I am very very much in like with you
I hope that it's enough 'cause it's all I can do
'Cause you treat my skin like porcelain,
Rare and special porcelain
Even though you know I know you know
That this is not the real thing...
Oh, isn't it enough what I'm giving to you, baby?
Oh, isn't it enough that your kisses drive me crazy?
Oh, isn't it enough, isn't it enough?
I read a book like you, it says for what it's worth
People only really get what they deserve
And I hear a voice cry out within
Relax, enjoy the porcelain
Treatment feels like liquid gold
A treasured hand for me to hold
Oh, isn't it enough what I'm giving to you, baby?
Oh, isn't it enough that your kisses drive me crazy?
Oh, isn't it enough, isn't it enough?
Porcelain, porcelain
You treat my skin like porcelain...
In the big, big scheme of things
Beyond the rare and special porcelain
Beyond the joy, joy and the dis-at-ease
Well there's a place for me...
Porcelain, porcelain....
Sometimes I think I should say I love you too
If words are free, why can't I spare the best for you?
'Cause you treat my skin like porcelain
Rare and special porcelain
Even though you know I know you know
I'm cracked from all of this living
Oh, isn't it enough what I'm giving to you, baby?
Oh, isn't it enough that your kisses drive me crazy?
Oh, isn't it enough that I'm checking for you, baby?
Oh, isn't it enough that your kisses drive me crazy?
Oh, isn't it enough, isn't it enough?
Isn't it enough?
Isn't it enough?

3 Comments:

At 3:16 AM, Blogger Steve told me...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Steve told me...

mischa and i want to thank you for the copy. we enjoyed it immensely.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger An told me...

I like Julia too.. I missed her first concert though..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares